T-13 days until this baby’s due date (and Mother’s Day, for all the Mamas longing for a day of pampering :) ). As emotionally and physically “ready” I am to meet this little miss or mr. (that has been so kindly resting on my sciatic nerve for the last couple of weeks), I keep having these random moments of “Oh Sh*t! I still have to [fill in the blank] before the baby comes!” While the hubbs is a great for taking direction/manual labor, he is little-to-no help in terms of planning baby-prep. (I don’t even think he knows that clothing needs to be pre-washed, bottles need to be sterilized, etc.).
So, without further adieu, I give you my Ultimate Baby Checklist! I know quite a few ladies out there that might be referencing this soon!
- Purchase & assemble all necessary furniture/baby gear items (crib, bassinet, changing station, swing, etc.)
- Purchase & wash infant clothing/towels/blankets/sheets, etc.
- Stock up your changing station(s): diapers, wipes, Vaseline, pee-pee teepees ;) , etc.
- Set up any baby sleeping area/feeding station, etc. in your bedroom
- Set up & charge baby monitors
- Pack baby clothing for hospital bag
- Install infant car seat in car(s)
- Wash and sterilize any feeding/breastfeeding items (i.e. bottles, pump parts, etc.)
- Determine which pediatrician you will using
- Make sure you have batteries on hand for all of those miscellaneous items (noise machine, swing, pump, etc.)
- If you are planning on bottle feeding, stock up on formula
- Schedule/book a newborn photo session
- Pack your hospital bag
- Stock up on “post delivery essentials” (i.e. granny panties, ginormous pads, nursing pads, Motrin, stool softener, hemorrhoid creme [just keepin' it real, folks!], etc.
- If you working, have an exit plan in place
- Purchase some nursing gear (sleeping bras, nursing bras/tanks), and make sure those button-down shirts are clean and ready to go!
- Make sure to pamper yourself a bit :)
- Take any birthing/infant care classes, or make sure you have read a few books
- Fill out/submit those hospital per-registration forms
- Prepare your birthing plan
For Siblings (if applicable):
- Have childcare on call or in place for when you are in labor or at the hospital
- Have important numbers/hospital info on hand for aforementioned childcare
- Have a “Sibling gift” for the new baby to give your older child/children and vice versa
- Have a couple of goodies on hand to keep your child/children distracted and feeling special (i.e. new toy, outing planned with aunt/grandparent/family friend, etc.) for when the new baby comes home (post on this forthcoming!)
- Stock up on a few of your child/children’s favorite meals/snacks for while you are in the hospital
- Have your pantry/freezer stocked with some easy and/or pre-made meals (click here for a great [kid-tested] freezer-friendly soup recipe)
- Make sure you house is clean and the guest linens have been laundered (in my dream world, I would have assistance with cleaning booked for the first few weeks post-delivery)
- Try to stay on top of the laundry, so everyone in your family is clothed those first few days at home while you are settling in to your new routine
- Arrange for pet care while you are in the hospital (if need be)
- Have thank-you notes on hand
- Stock up on bevies and snacks for guests or helpers (in the case of my family, makes sure plenty of Diet Coke is on hand!)
- Be sure those cameras are charged!
- Make sure to have some celebratory drinks (BOOZE) on hand for when you arrive home :)
Finally, make sure you get plenty of rest while you can!
That about sums up my list- though I am sure my severe case of pregnancy brain is making me forget few things. Anything to add?